Sunday, March 4, 2012

Lasagna


When I was small, I used to hate lasagna as I find it being too rich and cheesy. However, as I grow up, I begin to fall in love with this Italian dish. I still remember, it would always be my eldest sister who would make this. Now that I have developed an intense passion towards baking, I too, can make the dish. :)

I used the recipe provided behind the lasagna sheets box but have made several adjustments to suit our taste buds. I used combinations of cheddar and mozzarella cheese this time but you could use any other types of cheese if you wish to. The vegetables that I would normally put in lasagna are tomatoes and carrot but I also included a medium-sized green zucchini this time around.


Lasagna


For the meat sauce :

  • 800g minced beef
  • 2 large onions, chopped
  • 3 tbsp of oil
  • 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 1 carrot, thinly sliced
  • 1 green zucchini, diced
  • 3 large tomatoes, diced
  • 5 tbsp tomato puree
  • 2 tbsp tomato sauce
  • 1 tsp chili sauce
  • 1 cube of chicken stock.
  • salt
  • pepper

1. Heat a pot with some oil in it over medium heat. Once hot, put in the onions and cook until they wilt or become translucent.
2. Next put in the garlic and meat. The meat will releases its juices.
3. Put all the other ingredients in, and let it simmer away.
4. Season to taste and turn off the heat once the sauce is dry (no more pools of water).

For the bechamel sauce :

  • 4 tbsp butter
  • 4 tbsp flour
  • 1 litre milk (4 cups)
  • 250g cheddar or mozzarella cheese
  • salt, pepper to taste

1. Melt the butter over medium heat and put in the flour. Cook the flour for about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
2. Quickly whisk in the milk to avoid lumps. Put the saucepan back on the heat.
3. Stir continuously until the sauce thickens. 
4. Put in the cheese and season it. 
5. Once it boils, turn off the heat.

Assembling :

  • Grated parmesan or mozzarella cheese

1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Start with a layer of meat sauce, followed by lasagna sheets and then bechamel sauce. It would be nice if you could have at least 4 layers.
3.  Finish off with the bechamel sauce and topped with grated cheese.
4. Bake for about 40 minutes or until it browns a little.

Homegrown tomato plant.

No comments: